Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Writing letters to the Elderly



I have discovered the page From the Heart today on Facebook and I absolutely love the idea. It is for spreading a little bit of joy to the elderly through cards of all types- birthday, holiday, etc and also writing letters. The page admins were wondering if any of you have any contacts at nursing homes that we might be able to send cards to? There are many residents who might be lonely and receive no mail. 

Today I took the time to compose a simple letter, that I will send to a few nursing homes in the local area I live. It is short friendly letter outlining my plan and with a mention of The Month of Letters. I explained that I like to find ways to support the local community and with my love of writing, I would love to write to and/or send some cards to some residents- to brighten the lives of the elderly. I call it "Senior Buddies". I think it would be an amazing experience to develop a relationship with individuals through letter writing. I believe it would make huge strides over time and will impact many lives!

I'll keep you posted if I hear back and get some resident names on a first name basis for privacy reasons, but you would be more than welcome to write to them too if you choose and i'll definitely share the names. :)

Of course it warms my heart to know that relationships established could follow on past the month of February. In the meantime check out From the Heart on Facebook. They do have an updated list as of January, 17th 2017 of card requests. I know the individuals listed would love to hear from you.

I'm going to write my first letter to
Thelma. R
C/O Angels of Destiny
PO Box 6655
Kingwood, Texas 77325

Simply because we live in the same state.





No comments:

Post a Comment